Saturday, May 2nd is Mayo Day – a global celebration of our beautiful county aimed at reconnecting the 9.3 million Mayo Diaspora around the world, who are encouraged to join us in celebrating this beloved county in their own corner of the globe.
And we’re marking the occasion by running an adventure race. Now in its third year, the Clare Island Adventure Race kicks off at 1pm, with registration opening at 11.30am (but you can pre-register here).
This is a fabulous event with all the perfect ingredients for a great adventure race:
- Spectacular scenery at every turn
- A tough challenge for seasoned racers
- A very do-able option for beginners
- A unique twist (walking the plank) in deference to the island’s most infamous ancestor, Grainnuaile.
- Great value at just €45 for the full race and €35 for the Spirit race – including return ferry fare if you pre-register by Friday, May 1st.
But the most outstanding thing of all is something that can’t quite be expressed in words and certainly can’t be experienced at other adventure races: the setting of Clare Island itself.
If you’ve been, you’ll know what we’re talking about. If you have yet to come, let us assure you it will steal your heart, as it has ours.
If you’re looking for a memorable way to mark Mayo Day, or something different to do over the bank holiday weekend, then think about joining us.
Go Explore Hostel is officially open for the season and there’ll be great craic at the after-party in the on-site Sailor’s Bar & Restaurant.
The hostel has a fully equipped self-catering kitchen, or if you’d rather relax and be served your food, they serve delicious and fresh-prepared meals with the bay as your beautiful backdrop.
For all you need to know, visit the race page and pre-register today.